My aunt Rene, who turned the big 5-0 on Sunday, is a HUGE Garfield fan (to say the least). Every household item that could possibly be transformed into this adorably, grumpy, fat cat she owns. and her Facebook friends can count on reading a new quote or picture every Monday, depicting Garfield's thoughts on the beginning of the work week. Because Garfield decorations are hard to come by and Rene planned a huge shindig (which happened Saturday night and was sooo much fun), I took it upon myself to make her some fat cat-inspired things that could be used throughout the party! I will be posting pics of the party and the Garfield decorum soon, but, for now, here is the how-to for the pool noodle, Garfield wreath I made her...
-orange, pool noodle
-black, duct tape
-craft foam in orange, yellow, pink, white, and black
-2 black, pipe cleaners
-black, permanent marker
-low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
1. Form pool noodle into circle and wrap black, duct tape around the ends to connect the circle.
2. Wrap pool noodle in black duct tape in four spots to create Garfield's stripes
3. Cut Garfield's ears, mouth, eyes, eyeballs, and nose out of foam in the corresponding colors shown
below. Use black, permanent marker to embellish the mouth and ears.
4. Using a low-temp glue gun, adhere ears to the back of the wreath and Garfield's face to the front of the
5. Use two black, pipe cleaners to cut out 4, 3-inch pieces and 2, 5-inch pieces. Stick 2, 3-inch pieces and
1, 5-inch piece into each side of the wreath, as shown in the picture below.
I will end this post by simply saying
HAPPY 50TH BIRTHDAY, RENE!!!!!