|Embroidered plaque-This pic does not do it justice, but you get the idea. It reads "Claire Alexandra, July 1st, 2012)|
|Grandma Dalby (Grandad, too!!!)|
You know the phrase "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree?" In the case of my craft-obsession, I am the proverbial apple to my almost-80-year-old grandmother's tree, indeed! My crafting ability does not, however, hold a candle to the amazing projects she has completed over the years. Here are just a few reasons why she is amazeballs:
1. She's British! Oh yeh, folks...best accent ever!
2. She and my grandfather (and my infant mom) left everything they knew behind in England to establish a better life in the states for themselves and their children.
3. She is an incredible cook (and does not limit herself to bland and boring British food, either)!
4. She once heard the "ding" from her bread machine and responded by answering the phone AND is an incredible sport when her family members still tease her about it to this day!
5. At almost 80 years old (her birthday is on March 6th!!!), she creates the most amazing sweaters, jackets, hats, gloves, blankets, and embroidery work imagineable. This woman cannot physically stop moving her hands! When she doesn't have a project in the works for one of her 4 children, 10 grandchildren, or 8 great-granchildren, she makes helmet liners for military troops and blankets for invalids. How amazing is she!
From the time grandma's daughters started having children of their own, she began a tradition in which she created an embroidered birth announcement frame for the oldest of every family. Now that her children's children are having children of their own (did 'ya get that???), she has kept the tradition going. I have included a picture of the beautiful piece she made for my daughter, Claire, which she and I will forever treasure! I can only hope to become half the woman she is!
LOVE YOU, GRANDMA!!!!!
|Oh, and she crochets, too! Here is the car seat cover she made for my sister's little boy|
|...and the pram cover she made for my little girl|